National Junior Honor Society is a service-minded organization for 7th and 8th graders, which strives to promote leadership and citizenship skills within its members. Membership in NJHS is granted after careful consideration of applications by our membership committee. This membership is the highest honor that the school can bestow on a student, because it acknowledges excellence; not just in one activity, but in all. Students are invited to join NJHS after they have exhibited these standards of excellence: Scholarship, Leadership, Service, Citizenship and Character. NJHS students are our future community leaders and, as such, are expected to be positive role models to their peers, as well as to others. NJHS members understand the importance of "doing what's right, because it's right," and strive to model this, both on and off the Dowell Middle School campus.
Important November/December Reminders:
1) Let's keep the enthusiasm going strong for our Community Food Pantry project! Remember, that you guys are the "cheerleaders" for your PAWS classes, and should be encouraging classmates to bring in items!
2) Don't forget to bring in any empty delivery boxes you receive at home. We will need as many as possible to collect the donated items. You may take them directly to your PAWS class, take them to the front office (say it's for Mrs. Thomas), or bring them to G215.
3) I would love to have at least 5 parent volunteers assist me in driving the donated items to the food pantry between 5:00-5:30, on December 16th. It will be immediately following our NJHS meeting on the same day. If you are able to help, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you so much in advance!
4) I will be placing our t-shirt order within the next two weeks. If you have NOT paid your NJHS fee ($20) and/or have not given me your t-shirt size, please do so asap. Thank you!
Have a great week! I'm so proud of you all!
2021 - 2022 NJHS Application Information
Dowell Middle School is a proud participant in the National Junior Honor Society. Our chapter is dictated by guidelines and criteria set at the national level. NJHS is a service organization and has high academic criteria. Members participate in individual and group community service projects. Application for the school year is open only to students who satisfy the outline criteria. Please see the links below for more information.
Teacher Evaluation Form
Parent/Student Signature Form
(If unable to print permission slip, see Mrs. Thomas in G215 for a hard copy.)
The application process is now closed for the 2021-2022 school year, as of October 17, 2021.
Elected Officials Application
- 7th and 8th grade students
- Students are eligible with an overall average of > 90% in 2nd semester of last year.
- Straight A’s are NOT required, but all grades must average out to > 90%.
- If you do not have a copy of last year’s report card, we can verify grades AFTER you submit the application.
- Student must have 2 teacher recommendations based on behavior and leadership.
- Students must maintain outstanding conduct, and must not have received any N’s or U’s during each nine weeks, of the previous two quarters.
- Students must not have any ISS or OSS suspensions, or Lion Pauses during the previous two quarters, or student may be suspended from organization.
Community & School Service Hours
- NJHS members must complete 6 hours of community service each semester. A maximum of 6 hours can be completed on campus.
- Use the form below as your documentation. Character is a core value of NJHS - we are operating on the Honor System!
- Need some community service hours?! communityimpact.com/mckinney/features/community-events/2019/08/09/24-ways-to-volunteer-in-mckinney/
- NJHS will meet once a month.
- Students who do not meet the meeting requirement may be suspended from the organization.
NJHS Sponsor for 2021 -2022 is Carin Thomas.