National Junior Honor Society is a service-minded organization for 7th and 8th graders, which strives to promote leadership and citizenship skills within its members. Membership in NJHS is granted after careful consideration of applications by our membership committee. This membership is the highest honor that the school can bestow on a student, because it acknowledges excellence; not just in one activity, but in all. Students are invited to join NJHS after they have exhibited these standards of excellence: Scholarship, Leadership, Service, Citizenship and Character. NJHS students are our future community leaders and, as such, are expected to be positive role models to their peers, as well as to others. NJHS members understand the importance of "doing what's right, because it's right," and strive to model this, both on and off the Dowell Middle School campus.
1) The blankets turned out amazing, and the hospitals were so appreciative! Medical City McKinney even posted about the donation on their Twitter and Facebook pages. What a wonderful opportunity for NJHS to share their servants hearts, and true compassion for others!
2) Don't forget to join us for the Induction Ceremony on Wednesday, May 11th. We will start at 6:30, in the DMS cafeteria. I have included the link to the invitation, along with the RSVP below:
3) It has been my pleasure being your NJHS sponsor, once again this year! What an incredible group of young people, with such bright futures ahead! We will miss our 8th graders, and hope they continue to serve in NHS, once they get to high school. Best of luck to you all!!
4) Incidentally, if your 7th grader would like to be a part of NJHS again next year, that would be great! As an official member, they will no longer need to get the teacher letters of recommendation. Everyone will still fill out the application in September, along with submit final grades from this school year. Also, if you know of any current 6th graders who would be a great fit next year, be sure to tell them all about the program. We'd love to have them join!
That's all for now. I'll see everyone on May 11th!!
So proud of you,
2021 - 2022 NJHS Application Information
Dowell Middle School is a proud participant in the National Junior Honor Society. Our chapter is dictated by guidelines and criteria set at the national level. NJHS is a service organization and has high academic criteria. Members participate in individual and group community service projects. Application for the school year is open only to students who satisfy the outline criteria. Please see the links below for more information.
Teacher Evaluation Form
Parent/Student Signature Form
(If unable to print permission slip, see Mrs. Thomas in G215 for a hard copy.)
The application process is now closed for the 2021-2022 school year, as of October 17, 2021.
Elected Officials Application
- 7th and 8th grade students
- Students are eligible with an overall average of > 90% in 2nd semester of last year.
- Straight A’s are NOT required, but all grades must average out to > 90%.
- If you do not have a copy of last year’s report card, we can verify grades AFTER you submit the application.
- Student must have 2 teacher recommendations based on behavior and leadership.
- Students must maintain outstanding conduct, and must not have received any N’s or U’s during each nine weeks, of the previous two quarters.
- Students must not have any ISS or OSS suspensions, or Lion Pauses during the previous two quarters, or student may be suspended from organization.
Community & School Service Hours
- NJHS members must complete 6 hours of community service each semester. A maximum of 6 hours can be completed on campus.
- Use the form below as your documentation. Character is a core value of NJHS - we are operating on the Honor System!
- Need some community service hours?! communityimpact.com/mckinney/features/community-events/2019/08/09/24-ways-to-volunteer-in-mckinney/
- NJHS will meet once a month.
- Students who do not meet the meeting requirement may be suspended from the organization.
NJHS Sponsor for 2021 -2022 is Carin Thomas.