National Junior Honor Society is a service-minded organization for 7th and 8th graders, which strives to promote leadership and citizenship skills within its members. Membership in NJHS is granted after careful consideration of applications by our membership committee. This membership is the highest honor that the school can bestow on a student, because it acknowledges excellence; not just in one activity, but in all. Students are invited to join NJHS after they have exhibited these standards of excellence: Scholarship, Leadership, Service, Citizenship and Character. NJHS students are our future community leaders and, as such, are expected to be positive role models to their peers, as well as to others. NJHS members understand the importance of "doing what's right, because it's right," and strive to model this, both on and off the Dowell Middle School campus.
Attention NJHS Members and Families:
I am excited to announce that we have been given permission to host our "NJHS Induction Ceremony" this year! It will take place on May 18th, from 6:00pm-7:00pm, in the DMS cafeteria. Feel free to dress up; you earned it!
Please know that because of Covid-19 restrictions, certain details have been modified from previous induction ceremonies. This year, all NJHS members are invited; however, only parents and siblings of the new inductees will be able to attend, as well. Masks are required to be worn by all in attendance.
This will be our final NJHS gathering for the 2020-2021 school year, and I am looking forward to seeing as many members as possible. I am beyond proud of this group! They have endured circumstances unlike any other year, and yet still maintained the highest levels of maturity and determination, throughout.
Feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org, if you have any further questions. Finally, once students have completed their required service hours, they do NOT need to turn the form into me. I have record of all who attended our meetings, and also who participated in our "Homeless Care Package" project. Parents, I just ask that you double check, in case you feel like your child/children did not meet the minimum requirements.
Thank you so much,
2020 - 2021 NJHS Application Information
Dowell Middle School is a proud participant in the National Junior Honor Society. Our chapter is dictated by guidelines and criteria set at the national level. NJHS is a service organization and has high academic criteria. Members participate in individual and group community service projects. Application for the school year is open only to students who satisfy the outline criteria. Please see the links below for more information.
Teacher Evaluation Form
Parent/Student Signature Form
(If unable to print permission slip, see Mrs. Thomas in G215 for a hard copy.)
All PARTS of the Application are due by November 13, 2020.
- 7th and 8th grade students
- Students are eligible with an overall average of > 90% in 2nd semester of last year.
- Straight A’s are NOT required, but all grades must average out to > 90%.
- If you do not have a copy of last year’s report card, we can verify grades AFTER you submit the application.
- Student must have 2 teacher recommendations based on behavior and leadership.
- Students must maintain outstanding conduct, and must not have received any N’s or U’s during each nine weeks, of the previous two quarters.
- Students must not have any ISS or OSS suspensions, or Lion Pauses during the previous two quarters, or student may be suspended from organization.
Community & School Service Hours
- NJHS members must complete 6 hours of community service each semester. A maximum of 6 hours can be completed on campus. (Due to Covid-19 restrictions, this number may be decreased for the '20-'21 school year.)
- Use the form below as your documentation. Character is a core value of NJHS - we are operating on the Honor System!
- Need some community service hours?! https://register.chronotrack.com/r/34818
- NJHS will meet once a month.
- Students who do not meet the meeting requirement may be suspended from the organization.
NJHS Sponsor for 2020 -2021 is Carin Thomas.