National Junior Honor Society is a service-minded organization for 7th and 8th graders, which strives to promote leadership and citizenship skills within its members. Membership in NJHS is granted after careful consideration of applications by our membership committee. This membership is the highest honor that the school can bestow on a student, because it acknowledges excellence; not just in one activity, but in all. Students are invited to join NJHS after they have exhibited these standards of excellence: Scholarship, Leadership, Service, Citizenship and Character. NJHS students are our future community leaders and, as such, are expected to be positive role models to their peers, as well as to others. NJHS members understand the importance of "doing what's right, because it's right," and strive to model this, both on and off the Dowell Middle School campus.
Now that acceptance letters are being passed out, let me be the first to tell you CONGRATULATIONS on being chosen as part of NJHS! I know this year is anything but "normal." However, that does not mean we can't still have the greatest year ever! Our next meeting is Thursday, November 19th, at 4:00, in the DMS cafeteria. There will be a Zoom link provided, for any virtual members. We will be setting up our "NJHS Remind" and formatting what this particular year will hopefully look like. Until then (and something to be thinking about), IF you are interested in running for any of the NJHS Officer positions, please fill out the form here, by November 30. Final decisions will be made, and officers will be announced at our December meeting. Congratulations again, and I'll see you Thursday!
2020 - 2021 NJHS Application Information
Dowell Middle School is a proud participant in the National Junior Honor Society. Our chapter is dictated by guidelines and criteria set at the national level. NJHS is a service organization and has high academic criteria. Members participate in individual and group community service projects. Application for the school year is open only to students who satisfy the outline criteria. Please see the links below for more information.
Teacher Evaluation Form
Parent/Student Signature Form
(If unable to print permission slip, see Mrs. Thomas in G215 for a hard copy.)
All PARTS of the Application are due by November 13, 2020.
- 7th and 8th grade students
- Students are eligible with an overall average of > 90% in 2nd semester of last year.
- Straight A’s are NOT required, but all grades must average out to > 90%.
- If you do not have a copy of last year’s report card, we can verify grades AFTER you submit the application.
- Student must have 2 teacher recommendations based on behavior and leadership.
- Students must maintain outstanding conduct, and must not have received any N’s or U’s during each nine weeks, of the previous two quarters.
- Students must not have any ISS or OSS suspensions, or Lion Pauses during the previous two quarters, or student may be suspended from organization.
Community & School Service Hours
- NJHS members must complete 6 hours of community service each semester. A maximum of 6 hours can be completed on campus. (Due to Covid-19 restrictions, this number may be decreased for the '20-'21 school year.)
- Use the form below as your documentation. Character is a core value of NJHS - we are operating on the Honor System!
- Need some community service hours?! https://register.chronotrack.com/r/34818
- NJHS will meet once a month.
- Students who do not meet the meeting requirement may be suspended from the organization.
NJHS Sponsor for 2020 -2021 is Carin Thomas.